Monday, October 11, 2010

The Mask 1

Kabuki Upclose 5


Thus starts a new series. I am bringing the Sharpie art and Expressive series to a close. Though do not be surprised should there be an encore of either in the future!


About 22 years ago, I was assigned to a naval base in Yokosuka, Japan as part of a weather/oceanography detachment. For the next 4 years, I lived in and around Yokosuka, Yokohama, and Tokyo. 


One of discoveries I made that later became an influence on my artwork, was the Kabuki theatre. I was fascinated by the masks that were painted on the actors. Simple, yet dramatic. Watching these productions gave me butterflies and made my heart pound. One was provided with headphones for translation, but I did not need nor wanted translation because I could FEELl what was going on. 


I had dreams of the Kabuki. The actors wore my masks that I had drawn and made. These dreams were vivid, the kind that you wanted to go back to sleep and hope the visions would come back! I drew as much as I could, when I could to get these images down on paper.  22 years later, I still have these masks running through my mind.


This series will show several influences seen in my designs. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment